SCHOOL RULES AND REGULATIONS
MIS promotes positive behavior in school by developing relationships between staff and students based on respect, safety, honesty, responsibility and courtesy.
The school rules reflect the school’s expectation in terms of acceptable behavior, dress and personal presentation in the widest sense. The school rules are to be obeyed at all times by the students, both on the school grounds or when clearly associated with the school, such as on a school trip.
Students have the responsibility:
· To respect their peers and teachers (including ground staff) regardless of ethnicity, religion or gender.
· To respect the property and equipment of the school and others.
· To attend school regularly and to be punctual.
· To be properly prepared for class, have the correct equipment, and show a willingness to co-operate and learn.
· To keep the school environment clean.
· To respect the right of others to learn and therefore not be disruptive in class.
· To carry out reasonable instructions to the best of their ability.
· To conduct themselves in a courteous manner in school and in public.
· To be responsible for handing in their assignments (homework, project work, etc) on time, and for making the necessary arrangements in case of absence.
· To conduct themselves responsibly during tests and exams, that is by not cheating or aiding others to cheat.
· To read all school notices and bring them to their parents’ or guardians’ attention.
A. The following are not to be brought to the school grounds:
· Alcohol or drugs in any form.
· Cigarettes or tobacco.
· Pornographic or any other offensive material.
· Certain materials that may be viewed as weapons.
Any form, verbal or physical, or any means of bullying or victimization is prohibited on the school grounds. Cyber-bullying will not be tolerated. Please refer to Future "code of conduct"
C. Leave applications:
The process of applying for leave requires that parents or guardians write a letter to the class tutor/key stage head/PD well in advance, stating the dates and reason for absence.
All students must be at school at 7:30 am. Latecomers must report to the office before going to class. The student will only be admitted in class by the teacher upon presentation of the “Late Pass” from the office.
The school controls students´ attendance. Parents or guardians are required to justify any absence in writing/email to the tutor, Key stage head or call the school office and leave a message with the student’s name, class, and reason for absence either for an anticipated absence or immediately on the child´s return. In the event of the absence exceeding 2 days, the school should be informed whilst the student is absent from the school. It is the student´s responsibility to catch up on missed work. An extended exemption of any sports activity must be justified by a medical certificate.
F. Personal property:
All articles of clothing, shoes, books, bags and other personal property should be clearly marked with the students’ name. No responsibility can be accepted for unmarked property. Furthermore, students should refrain from bringing large sums of money to school as well as any other expensive accessories (laptops, jewelry, cell phones, etc). The school will not be held accountable for the loss or damage of the above mentioned items.
G. Cell phones/ Other electronic devices:
The use of cell phones and/or other electronic devices is seen, by many, to be a disruptive influence of the daily routine of the school, its students and teachers. They are used not only to communicate but also to take pictures or film, which can be considered illegal activities in a classroom setting. In KS1 and 2 pupils cellphones are not allowed unless a special permission is granted by the KS Head. In KS3/4/5 these should be turned off and not used during class time or in classrooms from 7:30 am to 3:00 pm. In the case of an emergency permission from a teacher or KS Head is required or students should use the telephone in the main office or the booths set up on school premises.
H. Dress code:
Students should wear clothing that reflects a positive learning environment free from distractions. It is expected that students wear appropriate, neat and clean clothing at all times.
Examples of unacceptable clothing include and not limited to:
· Muscle shirts, spaghetti straps, tube tops, see-through clothing and tops showing visible cleavage.
· Micro skirts and very short-shorts.
· Midriffs and backs must be covered.
· Pants must be worn at the waist so as not to show undergarments.
· Hats, beanies and hoods.
Chewing of gum is prohibited on the school premises.
J. Parental co-operation/interference:
Parents are encouraged and welcome to co-operate in all our school activities. They are expected to attend all Parent - Teacher Meetings and collect the report cards.
Parents are not permitted to enter classrooms during lesson times unless in an emergency situation. They should make prior arrangements if they wish to see a teacher for any particular reason. This can be arranged by a simple phone call, written note or contact through the main office or directly with the teacher.
K. Tests and examinations:
Attendance at tests and examinations is compulsory. Malpractices in examinations will be viewed seriously. Offenders will be marked zero and run the risk of being suspended or expelled. On return a medical certificate is required especially if there was an absence from tests.
L. 75% attendance to all lessons is require to be entitled to a term grade or attend the final examination
M. Disobeying school rules will result in disciplinary action. This may be carried out by the school disciplinary committee. Parents will be informed in the case of serious or recurring offenses (for further information refer to behavior policy)
N. Rules and regulations are subject to change without prior notice.
We request a working email (parents or guardians) so all notices and other communication between school and parents can be guaranteed.
I (We) ________________________________ parent(s) of ____________________________
Hereby acknowledge the receipt of the MIS rules and regulations and have read and agree to its content. I (We) hereby agree to comply with all the policies and procedures which includes re-enforcing such policies and procedures with my (our) student/pupil as referenced above.
Parent´s signature date
Student´s signature date
School rules and regulation in Portuguese just click here